Fans, not friends

If you think that there's no worse thing than a lunatic obsessed narcisistic and egocentric girl, you're wrong. There are her fans. And, please, read carefully: I've said fans, not friends.
Fan is a short form for fanatic and, according to the dictionary, "a person who is too enthusiastic about something". The words "too enthusiastic" are the key.
There are lots of different kind of fans, but the worst ones are undoubtely teenage ones. But don't get me wrong, I'm talking about just a bunch of teens. Internet plays a strange fascinations towards them. It's like a night home without their parents. They feel they could do everything they want. Or else they feel they are the head of the house and that gives them a sort of legitimate power.

They generally love things which are popular at that moment, because this give them the opportunity to join a community of thousand of other teens like them. The object of their "love" is what make them popular and beloved in those communities so they want to defend their position, I mean, idols. They fight against everyone who doesn't share their point of view. They don't like to argue (words are not their strong point as you will see) because they think that their ideas are right and untouchable. Their goal on every quarrel is to silence their interlocutors.
Like a lone soldier guarding a fort, shooting at everything in sight without thinking too much, if you pass me the simile.

One very recent case of that "fanatism" could be found in the fans of "Eragon", the book written by Christopher Paolini. Mr. Paolini became famous because he claimed to have written that book at the age of fifteen. A teen genius, as someone addressed him. You know that the media love this kind of things. So Paolini was interviewed, honoured, praised.
Teen fans love him because he's one of them (forgetting that he was fifteen in 1998. He's more than twenty, today) and most of all because he is one of them who made it, who reached success.
One thing they don't know and they keep ignoring, is that Mr. Paolini actually copied the entire Star Wars plot, scene by scene. And he robbed The Lord of The Rings too, using the charismatic races Tolkien invented, such as Elves, Dwarves and Orcs, without adding anything new.
Mr. Paolini is also a poor writer. He used a lot of purple prose and made obvious mistakes (like creating a vegetalian female Elf characters who wears a leather armor, for example).

But his teenage fans don't accept such criticisms. If you try to say something like that in one of the forum dedicated to the subject, the following is a good view of what you could ecounter.
The most probable answers you will get would be that you're jealous of his talent or his success; that you should get a life and not waste your time hating him; that you are a pathetic stupid brat who likes attacking others. Not to mention loads of swearing a teenager could know (internet is a good place to learn, I suppose).
You could answer them, reply politely, showing your reasons. But you will remain a stupid jealous slacker.

Branca also has lots of fans. And a lot of them are teenage fans (DeviantArt attracts teenage artists like honey attracts bees). She calls them "friends", but what Branca ignore is that most part of them follow her only to share her popularity. It can't be helped, it's how DeviantArt works. I watch your gallery so you're going to watch mine. I say to you that you are good because I expect you to say the same to me. And when you publish a journal asking for "a shoulder to cry on", I shall come and pamper you, because it costs me nothing (they are just words).

Branca's teenage fans are no exception. They close their eyes, ears and minds and they rush against criticisms headlong. They don't fight, they just carelessly kick and puch. They don't argue, they just shout insults.
Branca's success doesn't come from her talent. If it was the case, she wouldn't be so popular on DeviantArt, because there are lots of more talented Gorillaz' artists than her. Branca's success comes from her blind and loyal fans. Like Paolini's success. Like every mediatic phoenomenon's success.
Branca create fanarts. And fans create Branca.

Now that you know what I'm talking about, let me show you some of the nice comments I've received for what I did the first time I've opened my "Fernet" account on DeviantArt:

spicynoodle666 (13 years old) says that "this bitch sucks", calls my works "shitty comics" and also calls me a "stupid whore who is jealous";

Catya (19 years old) says that "Fernet sure is a bitch......peolpes like that deserves to be banned" and also that what I'm doing "shows pretty much that peoples who does it,has no life";

2dismine (15 years old) says that everyone who attack Branca "are just jealous" of her "wit" and "talent";

Moon-Ottsel (12 years old) says that Fernet is "either just nasty, or shes really jelouse" of Branca'a talent;

DemonDaysChild (16 years old) says that I'm "just an idiot";

RedHeadWolf (13 years old) says that Fernet "'s jealous";

italiancowgirl90 (16 years old) just says "ughh... what a bitch.... some people are just too jealous for their good XP";

fluffycrazynoodle (13 years old) says that "fernet must die *stab*" and also that fernet "dosent have any friends on dev.. ;P she sucks.." and that "she's jealoss" of Branca and her "brilliant art work".

xxpunkgrlxx (16 years old) says that what I do is "immature and Childish". She says that I'm "probally just jelous" of Branca's talent. She says that I'm another "overly obsessive 2D fan" and that I'm "just jelous, or just immature and looking for attention".

I didn't report other enlightening comments of some people because I didn't know their age. But looking at their gallery I guess they're probably less than twenty.
What can I say?
I'm not absolutely jealous of Branca's talent or success. I like what I do, but I don't expect other people to like it as well. Branca do;
I think of being, if not intelligent, at least a logical and pragmatic person. And I think that if I was a stupid person I wouldn't write the way I write;
I don't think I've offended anyone with my works, because they are just parodies. It's not my fault if they haven't any sense of humor;
And I live my life with hope and joy. This month I went to cinema with my boyfriend four times... five if I count today.


If you want to have a look at all the comments on your own, you can watch the original journal Branca made the first time I arrived on DA:

Branca's journal against Fernet on DeviantArt

I've also received other personal comments I won't report here for a matter of space, but I shall put them on a page on their own soon.


Fernet LeBlanche

14 comments:

Shaun of the Head said...

Correct.
Smiling to the landlord doesn't mean I'm his friend.

Anonymous said...

God i love you XD

Anonymous said...

get a life.

Shaun of the Head said...

Oi!
anonymous #2 (a. k. a. Branca's minion).
Grow up.

Anonymous said...

To anonymous#2
Don't you think that the time it took YOU to find this site..and comment..was completely wasted? You should get a life, instead of trying to find out where Fernet is and flaming her.

Unknown said...

Hey I'm 15... and you've made me feel proud that I don't act like those other example teens you gots there... hehe.
Branca, being such a big fan of Gorillaz, should do as they say and REJECT FALSE ICONS. The false icon being herself.

shangelina said...

unfortunetly world is full of those kind of people
I mean, you now are against this branca, probably cause you like gorillaz, but I believe there's one of this "mary sue" for each cartoon, band, famous people in the world, we can't fight it.
I consider myself a stupid girl for the comics I made, and I always felt shame to show to others my character being cool and get a wonderful life with gorillaz members and blablablah but it was funny to do!
Some people liked my comics but I dunno if they would react like beast if someone would make a parody of them (hint... bwhahahahaha)

Templars of Fernet said...

As long as we the Templars have a friend like you, we the Templars are happy. ^^; And this doesn't mean that we are asking for fanart. ^^;

Carolyn said...

So this girl is young, shes got friends on Deviantart that like her and want to back her up because they are all the same age and have nothing else to do. Why spend all your time complaining about it? I see so many things on Deviantart that i think are unfair or wrong but complaining about it does nothing. Your complaints are not going to get this girl to suddenly think that she should just delete her account. she is going to stand up for herself. and so she should as would you if somebody flamed you. shes not a brilliant artist but at least she has tried.

Templars of Fernet said...

CazWii:

We the Templars want to say Fernet is not complaining. ^^; She is making fun. ^^; Since Mrs Tusspot is a very arrogant geezer, we can't say she is "trying at least", because she's too proud of every little piece of crap she does. ^^;

Saku said...

So freaking true.
And don't forget that DeviantArt admins also side with Branca just because apparently she's the 'victim'.

Anonymous said...

Complete agreement here. I was lucky enough to have GOOD rolemodels starting out on the netwebs. Not just good, excellent mature people whom I learned from NOT by fawning over because I was always taught to think for myself.

In the case of Branca, I wouldn't bother so much about it but for her AGE and the DAMAGE she's caused people over this... and the damage her fans have caused.

When I was younger I wanted to write comics about me and my friends hanging out with Gorillaz... never paired myself with any of them, or anyone else with them. I did it for fun. it didn't get me attention, but it helped me practice sequential art. Eventually I grew beyond that and did other stuff, though, and I never started arguements with people over stuff.

mary Sue is a natural stage of the human female mind, and the same goes with gary stu boys... but seriously.

You should be over that by at the very most seventeen.

Fanatics. PFT. All one person sharing a brain... I'm greatful I was taught to respect all people and opinions and think for myself.

Thanks for getting the message out.... I may not like harming people, but sometimes a slap in the face is needed to get any sort of message across.

Anonymous said...

I couldn’t have said it better myself. I love your work, and I adore the fact that you make come backs to the Branca fans in an intelligent way, rather than in such an immature and childish way like those insane fans of hers make. They have nothing to support what they say and just say the first insult that pops into their tiny head. You, on the other hand have many reasons to say what you do about her. I’m a teenager and can’t agree with those other teen fans in any way. Branca actually doesn’t watch all of her “friends” or as they call themselves. They’ll leave comments in their journal and on her Web page and say how good of a friend she is and how people shouldn’t be mean to her. NEWS FLASH she doesn’t even watch them or comment their art so it’s more of a one-sided friendship. All she does is leave a nice responds to a comment they left on her art. Of corse she going to say something nice to them, she wants to seem like a little sweet heart, and it would be rude to leave a mean comment to someone who complemented her. Her “Friends” say “People who are rude to her just don’t know her” OK, so I guess all of her “friends” fly to Brazil and meet her? They don’t truly know Lina, they know internet Lina. Anyone can be whoever they want via internet. Not physically even knowing this person they already they come to the conclusion she is a good person. I think this one of the reasons so many teenagers get abducted! Gosh, the things people think sometimes… It makes me laugh when people think some one of your artistic talent is jealous of her. I’m not a professional artist or anything, like I said I’m just a teen, but even I can see several flaws. I don’t say them to her because she doesn’t take critiques. I’m personally working on my drawing anatomy right now and think it’s safe to say every artist who wants to be good needs a little help now and then. I know not everyone is as artistically talented as others so I won’t say things about Branca like “Oh she’s terrible” But comparing you art to hers…Let’s just say you wouldn’t be jealous of her art. Fans will say anything to protect their obsession. They fail to see the she is an egotistical, self contradicting homophobe who put on an innocent mask. Ya’ know, It’s funny how hard she tries sometimes…
I hope you return to DA soon, I know you were recently banned
With much love <3- A-n-W

Anonymous said...

f**king awesome,fernet is awesomer and smarter